Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Day 3 Work in Progress 24 x 36 inch oil

I am making a little more progress on this today.  I color blocked in the shadows on the snow and the snow itself.  I also added a bit more modelling on the birches trying to give a bit more texture.  I love the color palette for this one.  I made the soft mauve color by mixing part white, burnt sienna and dioxapine purple.  The color is more on the warm side due to the burnt sienna and i am liking it a lot.  I think I will let this dry a bit before working some more on the snow and shadows.  I also painted the sides of the canvas with the left-over paint mixture I had on my palette.  This is a good way to use up the paint if you like to clean your palette after every session.  I always start with a clean palette but I do have a plastic tupperware container with dividers in it that i keep my colors laid out in.  I put this into a small fridge I keep in my studio so that the paint stays fairly fresh until the next time I use it.

No comments: